Baptism in the Holy Spirit
Baptism in the Holy Spirit is evidenced by speaking in tongues. Speaking in tongues is simply speaking in a language that only God understands. The Holy Spirit is our Helper (see John 14:16-17, The Amplified Bible.).
You receive the Baptism in the Holy Spirit by faith. Jesus said in Luke 11:13, “If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?” So you can simply ask the Father to receive.
5 Steps to Understanding and Receiving the Baptism in the Holy Spirit
- Holy Spirit was given on the day of Pentecost
- Acts 2:1-4, “And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. “
- Once you have received salvation, you are ready to receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
- Acts 2:38, “…Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.”
- What can you expect?
- You will do the speaking and the Spirit gives the utterances. (see Acts 2:4)
- If you do not open your mouth and speak, nothing will come out
- You cannot speak in two languages at the same time. Just as you can’t speak in English and French at the same time, neither can you speak in tongues and English at the same time.
- Forget all fears and false teachings regarding speaking in tongues. Study the scriptures to gain understanding.
- Luke 11:11-13, “For everyone that ask receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?”
- John 14: 16-17, “And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.”
- Romans 8: 26-27, “So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance. And He Who searches the hearts of men knows what is in the mind of the [Holy] Spirit [what His intent is], because the Spirit intercedes and pleads [before God] in behalf of the saints according to and in harmony with God's will.” (The Amplified Bible)
- 1 Corinthians 14: 1-40
Father God, You said in Your Word that if I ask, I will receive the Holy Spirit. So I ask that I be baptized in the Holy Spirit, evidenced by speaking in tongues. I believe I receive now and by faith I open my mouth, speak and the Spirit gives me the utterances. In Jesus’ Name, AMEN.
- Praise – Hallelujah!
- You can be confident that you have received a gift from God
- It may seem awkward at first, but continue, you will grow